As the cooler months draw closer and summer vacation unfortunately comes to an end, most of us have felt the extra holiday treats weighing us down. With the arrival of summer, most of us take a vacation, travel, and enjoy activities that often involve indulging in food and perhaps one too many glasses of white wine. It’s no secret that after a stretch of holiday indulgence, reverting back to a normal lifestyle can be challenging.
That’s why we’ve gathered some of the best recipes for a post-vacation detox. Detoxing can help to eliminate the negative consequences of going overboard with large meals, alcohol, and poor eating habits. We’ve included some tips and simple recipes to put you back on track and help you feel ready to take on the fall months feeling energized and detoxified.
Tip 1: Start Your Morning with Water
Start your day drinking lots of water — at least a litre — with lemon and a few slices of fresh ginger. This simple morning ritual will help flush out toxins and preparing your body for the day.
Tip 2: Start Cooking with Cleansing Spices
Adding certain spices to your meal can make a big difference in optimizing your digestion. Including cleansing herbs like turmeric, ginger, ginger, chia seeds, garlic, and cayenne pepper have great detoxifying effects. All of these spices help the body remove toxins and are resistant to free radicals.
Tip 3: Incorporate Green Smoothies
Smoothies are an easy way to reach your 5-a-day and help your body rid itself of holiday toxins. Include some of the cleansing herbs mentioned above with added fibre from chia seeds or flaxseed. Top it off with coconut water or some green tea (make sure to steep longer than normal when using ginger or turmeric to maximize the benefits).
Below are a couple of quick recipes for Detox after vacation
Recipe 1: Protein-Packed Detox Soup
- 1/2 cup canned kidney beans
- 1/2 cup canned black lentils
- 1/2 cup grated sweet potato
- 1/2 cup red kidney beans
- 1/2 cup diced tofu
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on low heat and sauté the garlic and onions until fragrant.
- Add the grated sweet potato, diced tofu, beans, and lentils.
- Stir to combine and then add the turmeric, cumin, and salt.
- Saute for a few minutes and then add the vegetable broth and cover the pot.
- Bring to a simmer and continue to cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the fresh lemon juice and season to taste with salt.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings.
Recipe 2: Detoxifying Green Chia Pudding
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup cubed fruit (e.g. banana, mango, pineapple)
- Combine the apple juice, ginger, turmeric, and cumin in a medium bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add the chia seeds and honey and stir until everything is evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- When ready to serve, stir in the cubed fruit and adjust honey to taste.
These recipes are delicious and easy to make, as well as full of all the essential vitamins and minerals you need to get your system back on track. Give them a try, and you’ll be feeling energized and ready to take on the cooler temperatures in no time.